There’s a feeling of tech satisfaction when you own a flagship Android device like the Samsung Galaxy S8 or S8+. With all the powerful features on the Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ like,
- An infinity display which gives you no bezels but a full screen experience like no other.
- A 12MP dual pixel sensor and an 8MP rear camera for capturing stunning photos/videos.
- Water and dust proof with IP-68 certification protects you indoors and outdoors.
- A built in personal assistant (Bixby) that understands you like a friend.
- Top notch Iris scanner, finger recognition and facial recognition security that keeps your device safe.
- Fast Snapdragon 835 processor.
- And a whole lot of others.
It’s just a must have, if your budget is not tight.
If you are reading this post, you should know the benefit of rooting your Android device and this guide will help you achieve that. To successfully root your Samsung Galaxy S8 or S8 Plus, it’s pretty simple. All it takes is to follow the tutorial carefully and also be patient.
Below is a detailed guide on how to root your Samsung Galaxy S8 or S8+ smartphone.
Here’s an important note:
Before you go ahead, note that the guide is only for Exynos variants of the Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus. It is recommended that you take a full backup of your Android phone before you wrote it. Check the Exynos variants of Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus as listed below:
Samsung Galaxy S8
- SM-G950F | SM-G950FD | SM-G950N | SM-G950X
Samsung Galaxy S8+
- SM-G955F | SM-G955FD | SM-G955X | SM-G955N
If you aren’t sure about your phone’s model number, you can check it through: Settings→ About device.
How to Root Samsung Galaxy S8/S8 Plus
To root your S8 and S8plus, you need to download some very important root files for the Galaxy S8/S8 Plus. You need to copy some of your device and others on your PC.
- TWRP for Samsung Galaxy S8 (Exynos vaiants – G950F/FD/N/X) |Download
- TWRP for Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus (Exynos variants – G955F/FD/X/N) | Download
- Latest Odin 3.12.3+(Samsung Flash Tool) | Download
- Download and install Samsung Mobile USB drivers | Download
- Download Magisk-v12.0-arm64.zip and save it in your device. | Download
- Download the latest DM-Verity and Force Encrytion Disabler.zip and save it in your device – Download
Steps To Root Your Samsung Galaxy S8/S8 Plus and Install TWRP
You need to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock on your phone. To enable USB Debugging, go to Settings→ About Phone→ Software info, and then tap on the build number repeatedly until you see a message that reads, “You are now developer”.
- You can now see Developer Option on the settings page. Head back to Settings, and scroll down until you come with OEM Unlock and USB/Android Debugging. Enable the two options.
- Next, you should save the TWRP. tar file from the download folder of your phone and save the zip file on the desktop
- Run the ODIN.exe file you downloaded earlier.
- You need to run the ODIN app on your desktop computer and turn off your device to boot into Download Mode.
- To boot your S8/S8 Plus into Download Mode, press hold Volume Down + Bixby + Power button for some seconds.
- Read the warning carefully. If you agree, press “Volume Up”to get into Download mode. If you don’t agree, STOP. Your phone will quickly boot into Download Mode.
- Connect your phone to the computer via a USB cable and you will see Added!! Message in the ODIN app.
- From ODIN window, click on AP or PDA tab and choose theTWRP recovery.tar file you have saved earlier on your desktop.
- Click on theOptions tab on ODIN and uncheck the Auto Reboot option. It’s necessary so that Odin won’t reboot the phone to normal mode after flashing TWRP. Alternatively, press and hold Bixby, Volume Up and Power button as soon as the phone turns on.
- Click the Start button to flash TWRP on your Galaxy S8/S8+.
- When you get a PASS! Message in the log, TWRP has been flashed/installed.
- Disconnect your phone from the USB cable.
It’s time to root your Samsung Galaxy S8/S8 Plus
- Reboot your device into TWRP by holding Volume Up + Power button + Bixby at the same time.
- When you are in TWRP recovery mode, swipe right to allow system modifications. Make sure you follow the steps below or you might not be able to boot into your system.
- Go to “Wipe” menu of TWRP and you will find “Wipe“. Press “Format Data” and type “Yes”, tap on the blue check/Enter button to continue.
- Tap on the Home button, Tap Reboot, Recovery.
- When the recovery reboots, tap on theInstall button below Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) screen, locate the latest DM-Verity Disabler.zip file and swipe the white arrows to the right to confirm and install it.
- Tap the Home button again.
- Tap on Install, locate “Magisk-v12.0-arm64.zip” and also swipe as well for it to be flashed. When it’s successfully flashed, your Galaxy S8/S8+ is now rooted.
- Tap Reboot, System when flashing is finished.
- Voila! You are done!
As easy as ABC if followed correctly, your Samsung Galaxy S8 or S8 Plus is rooted with TWRP recovery.
If you were able to root your Samsung Galaxy S8 or S8+ using this guide, you can let us know via the comments. Likewise, if you have issues following up, just drop a comment.
Credits : jesec from XDA