The Xiaomi Mi 6 is a flagship device from the Chinese OEM also known as the iPhone of China, Xiaomi. This device has very high end features and specs which include,
- Android 7.1.1
- 64GB – 128GB ROM
- 5.15 inch screen at 1080×1920 pixels
- 12MP Camera
- 6GB RAM
- 3350mAh battery
- Snapdragon 835 processor.
Having a device like the Xiaomi Mi 6, you would enjoy all the features Android has to offer. But with root access, you can get more features on your Mi 6.
In this guide, I will gradually show you the steps to safely install TWRP Recovery on your Mi 6 and also Root access. Rooting your Xiaomi Mi 6 lets you get privileged control over various Android hidden features.
You can customize anything on your device, remove all the restrictions applied by the manufacturer, uninstall factory apps, remove malware/bloatware, install custom mods, flash, custom ROMs, install root only APKs, tweak phone performance and other interesting Android stuffs.
Below is a detailed guide on how to install TWRP Recovery and Root on Xiaomi Mi 6. Try to follow the tutorial properly to avoid messing with your Mi 6.
How To Install TWRP And Root Xiaomi Mi 6
KriztekBlog will not be held responsible for any kind of damage to your Xiaomi Mi 6 while following this tutorial. Do it at your own risk.
- Make sure your device’s bootloader is unlocked.
- Make sure the battery is up to 50% charged.
- no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1.zip for Mi 6 – Download
- SuperSU for Xiaomi Mi 6 – Download
- TWRP Recovery 3.1.1 for Xiaomi Mi 6 – Download By ValoXis
- ADB and Fastboot – Download
Steps to Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi 6
- Put the downloaded TWRP recovery.img file inside the ADB folder.
- Rename the TWRP file as twrp.img
- Now open the command window from the ADB & Fastboot folder. To open the command window, hold the shift key on the keyboard and right click on an empty space and select “Open command window here” option to launch a CMD window.
- Then boot your device into bootloader/fastboot mode by executing the following command in CMD and hitting the Enter key after typing the commands.
adb reboot bootloader
- Your device should now enter bootloader mode. To confirm if it’s detected properly, type this command
- If you see some digits on the CMD window, that means your device is properly detected in fastboot mode. Now flash the recovery with this command.
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- After successfully flashing TWRP to your Mi 6, reboot your device into recovery mode with this command.
fastboot boot twrp.img
- You are done, you should now be in TWRP recovery.
Steps to Root your Xiaomi Mi 6 via TWRP
- Download the SuperSU zip file from above and transfer the file to your device via MTP.
- Boot your device into TWRP recovery using Volume key and power button combo.
- Select “Wipe” from TWRP main menu and do a “Swipe to Factory Reset” on the bottom of the screen.
- Once done, go back to TWRP main menu, tap on “Install” and select SuperSU (zip file) that you transferred to your device.
- After selecting the .zip file, do “Swipe to Confirm Flash” on the bottom of the screen to install SuperSU.
- Now go back to TWRP main screen, click Install again, locate the no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1.zip and then tap Install as well. Then “Swipe to confirm” on the bottom of the screen.
- Once done, reboot your device from the TWRP main menu and you are rooted, plus a custom recovery(TWRP) installed.
If you were able to root your Mi 6 or couldn’t follow up, use the comment box below.