Smartphones using Mediatek(MTK) chips are countless.
They are being used by major smarphones manufacturers like Microsoft, Nokia, HTC, Tecno, Infinix, Elephone, Infocus, Wiko, LeEco, Lenovo, Meizu, Excelvan and a lot of others.
Since this phones are easy to use, purchase, fast and reliable, supports future technologies and is welcomed by so many mobile users, it’s very important we learn how to flash stock ROM or files to the device incase there’s an issue.
Before flashing stock ROM to a Mediatek device, you must install Mediatek USB drivers on your PC, download the official flashing tool(Sp flashtool) and also the stock rom(with a scatter file) of the Mtk device. Now lets begin the process.
REQUIREMENTS FOR FLASHING ROMS/FIRMWARES TO MTK DEVICES
STEPS TO FLASH FIRMWARES OR STOCK ROMS TO MTK ANDROID DEVICES
- After installing MTK USB VCOM Drivers on your PC, unpack the Sp flashtool to your computer using winrar or any other archive software.
- Unpack the stock ROM too if its archived, e.g in .rar or .zip formats
- Open the Sp flashtool folder and run flashtool.exe
- Once Sp flashtool opens, it should display like this.
- Click on Scatter loading / choose by your right depending on the version of SP Flashtool.
- Now in the menu that pops up, locate the folder where you saved the unpacked stock rom or firmware file you downloaded.
- Click to open the stock firmware folder. In the ROM folder, select MT65xx Android Scatter.txt or what ever that has Android Scatter.txt
- Sp flashtool will now load the available partitions or files in the firmware folder. You should see Preloader, MBR, BOOT, RECOVERY, ANDROID, EBR, SECRO etc
- Now just above preloader, Click on the Download only and choose Download only or Firmware upgrade(Only choose Firmware Upgrade if all the partitions are available and marked or you are downgrading or upgrading the os)
- Now make sure all the available partitions are marked and unavailable ones are not marked.
- Click on the Download button/icon at the top.
- Turnoff your smartphone, remove and reinsert the battery if its removable otherwise just poweroff.
- Connect the phone to the PC.
- Sp flashtool should now detect your phone and display Mediatek Preloader Usb Vcom Port at the bottom.
- You might also hear a beep sound from your PC.
- After detecting the phone, a progress bar will start moving from red, yellow and probably green.
- Flashing actually takes time depending on the size of the flashfile. When flashing is done at 100%, Sp flashtool will display Download Ok. This implies that the whole stock ROM has been flashed to the device.
- Unplug the USB cable, remove and reinsert your MTK phone’s battery(if it’s removable) , then press the power button to turn the phone on.
- Wait for several minutes for the phone to boot up.
- If it takes too long and becomes very hot, remove and reinsert the battery, boot into recovery( press volume up or down and power button) and factory reset the phone or clear emmc in factory mode.
- After factory reseting or clearing emmc, reboot the phone and wait for some minutes for it to come up.
- After a while, your phone should be up and running.
Got No Simcard error, invalid, Null or Unknown Imei? Please click here to learn how to fix unknown or invalid Imei on Mediatek phones.
Other issues, feel free to drop a comment.